Headings: !!Hands-On Data Analysis in the Classroom
About This Project
This website -- supported by the UCLA Office of Instructional Development -- is designed to help sociologists enrich their teaching through the use of data in the classroom. We define "data analysis" broadly and have included both numerical and non-numerical types of data, though there is currently much more of the former. We have tried to choose resources that are easy to use and that do not presuppose knowledge of a standard statistical software package (like Stata or SPSS). Please note that because this project began as a local resource for the department here at UCLA, some data resources may point to links that are only accessible with a UCLA IP address.
The materials provided at this site are organized into seven general categories:
- DATA REPOSITORIES AND SOURCES: Links to high quality data sources, domestic and international, of particular relevance to sociologists. Includes raw and compiled data.
- DATA ANALYSIS TOOLS AND APPLICATIONS: Information and tutorials about data analysis applications, including online data analysis tools.
- TEACHING MODULES AND CLASSROOM EXERCISES: Collections of sample exercises and teaching modules, including general collections and links to particular subject-specific exercises.
- SUBJECT-SPECIFIC RESOURCES. The selected subject areas represent a subset of the core undergraduate courses offered by the UCLA Department of Sociology. In each area, we have tried to review and assess the quality of the data and exercises we present. We have completed sample exercises ourselves, and reviewed the content and analysis of the data tables or graphs. Many resources are relevant to more than one area, but we have generally listed them only once, so it may be helpful to scan resources in several subject areas. A good deal of material relevant to particular subject areas can also be found under Data Repositories and Sources. For more on subject-specific resources, click here.
- LOCAL RESOURCES AT UCLA: Descriptions of and links to local programs and people who can provide support for classroom data analysis.
- DATA AND INFORMATION LITERACY: Explanations, tutorials, and other resources on numerical, graphical, statistical, and information literacy.
- PRINT RESOURCES AND WORKBOOKS: A bibliography of useful print-based resources including books on data literacy and collections of classroom exercises.
Please note that our search feature is still under development.
Email comments or suggestions about this site to Rogers Brubaker (email@example.com).
Last edited by mj
http://www.wiki.org -- Wiki home: