Mark Q. Sawyer, Associate Professor
3272 Bunche Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1472
Office Phone: (310) 825-6629
- 1999 Ph.D., Political Science, University of Chicago
- 1996 M.A., Political Science, University of Chicago
- 1994 B.A., Political Science, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Past Courses and Syllabi:
- POL SCI 119D/AFRO-AM C101, Winter 2000 African American Political Thought
- POL SCI 143B, Spring 2000 Subnational Government: Government of American Cities
- POL SCI 259/AFRO-AM C201, Spring 2000 Politics of the African Diaspora
- "Cuban Exceptionalism: Group Based Hierarchy and the Dynamics of Patriotism in Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Cuba" with Pe±a and Sidanius The Dubois Review
- "Cuban Exceptionalism: Group Based Hierarchy and the Dynamics of Patriotism in Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Cuba." with Yesilernis Peña and James Sidanius The Dubois Review Vol.1, No.1.pgs.93-114.
- "Contentious Pluralism: The Public Sphere and Democracy." with Guidry Perspectives on Politics. Volume 1, Number 2, June 2003.
- "The New White Nationalism in America: Its Challenge to Integration by Carol Swain." Perspectives on Politics
- "Inclusionary Discrimination: Pigmentocracy and Patriotism in the Dominican Republic" with Sidanius, and Pe±a, Journal of Political Psychology (Fall 2001).
- "'Racial Democracy' in the Americas: A Latin and North American Comparison." with Peña and Sidanius Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology (Forthcoming).
- "What We Can Learn From Cuba: Comparative Perspectives on the African American Experience."SOULS Spring 2003 (5.2)
- "Unlocking the Official Story: Comparing the Cuban RevolutionÆs Approach to Race and Gender" UCLA Journal of International Law and Foreign Affairs Winter 2001.
- "A Book Review: Between Race and Empire: African-Americans and Cubans Before the Revolution" Palara: Publication of the Afro-Latin American Research Association Fall 2000, Number 4:108-11.
- "Du Bois' Double Consciousness versus Latin America Exceptionalism: Joe Arroyo, Salsa and Negritude" Western Political Science Association Annual Meeting, Portland Oregon, March 2003.
- 'Talking Dirty After Dark': Themes of Sexuality In Black Ideology (see attached)
In the Media
News and Groups:
- Politically Black
- Track and Field News
- This American Life
- The Black Radical Congress
- National Conference of Black Political Scientists
- Net Noir
- Black Planet
- Campaign Against Racism and Fascism
- National Public Radio
- The Chicago Tribune
Departments and Research:
- Center for the Study of Race Politics and Culture
- University of Illinois African American Studies Research Program
- University of Texas at Austin Diaspora Program
Anti-US billboard in Havana
Children going to school, Havana
My dog, Kalil
University of Havana
On the beach
visits since 10 May, 2004