- My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
- Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of
- Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of
- Say unto wisdom, Thou [art] my sister; and call
understanding [thy] kinswoman:
- That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the
stranger [which] flattereth with her words.
- For at the window of my house I looked through my casement,
- And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the
youths, a young man void of understanding,
- Passing through the street near her corner; and he went the
way to her house,
- In the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark
- And, behold, there met him a woman [with] the attire of an
harlot, and subtil of heart.
- (She [is] loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her
- Now [is she] without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait
at every corner.)
- So she caught him, and kissed him, [and] with an impudent
face said unto him,
- [I have] peace offerings with me; this day have I payed my
- Therefore came I forth to meet thee, diligently to seek thy
face, and I have found thee.
- I have decked my bed with coverings of tapestry, with
carved [works], with fine linen of Egypt.
- I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.
- Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning: let
us solace ourselves with loves.
- For the goodman [is] not at home, he is gone a long
- He hath taken a bag of money with him, [and] will come home
at the day appointed.
- With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the
flattering of her lips she forced him.
- He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the
slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks;
- Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to
the snare, and knoweth not that it [is] for his life.
- Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to
the words of my mouth.
- Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in
- For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong [men]
have been slain by her.
- Her house [is] the way to hell, going down to the chambers
King James Bible 1603
(Network Version, 1994)
Cross References: Latin Vulgate, French, German, Italian, Spanish